CLIMB KILIMANJARO - Machame Route
High on most hiker's bucket list - Climb to the highest point in Africa
At 5,895m, The peak of Kilimanjaro is the highest point on the Africa continent and is the highest free-standing volcano in the world.
The variety of landscapes encountered each day, the knowledge of the guides and the great company of the porter crew all make for an experience that is truly unforgettable.
There are many different routes used to reach the summit and we have chosen one that provides the group with the greatest chance of successfully summiting this wonderful lump of rock.
The route chosen is The Machame Route. This is a hiking route and not a technical climbing route - hiking is easy and on defined trails
The beautiful and challenging Machame route approaches the mountain from the south-west and ascends through lush, fertile rainforest, before climbing up onto the moorlands of the Shira Plateau - one of the three calderas that make up the mountain. From there we pass the great lava tower and circumnavigate part of the southern aspect of Kibo crater, before ascending to the crater rim and then on to the summit.
- Local guides and a highly experience and qualified mountain leader
- 1-night in Moshi town - before and after the hike (including breakfasts and dinners)
- Park fees
- Porters and chefs
- Ground transportation in Africa
- 7-days/6-nights on Kilimanjaro
- 3-months free subscription to The Altitude Centre gym in London
- 10% off any UK-based City Mountaineering trip prior to departure
- Flights (currently £450 rtn from London)
- Personal hiking equipment
- Tips for the local crew
- Personal travel insurance
Kilimanjaro Training at The Altitude Centre
Day 0 (7pm) - Meet at Heathrow and fly to Tanzania
Day 1 - Met at the airport and transferred to our hotel
Day 2 - Hike day 1 - 6hrs to Machame Camp
Day 3 - Hike day 2 - 5hrs to Shira 2 Camp
Day 4 - Hike day 3 - 8hrs to Baranco Camp
Day 5 - Hike day 4 - 5hrs to Karanga Camp
Day 6 - Hike day 5 - 4hrs to Barafu Camp
Day 7 - Hike day 6 - SUMMIT!
Day 8 - Hike day 7 - 4hrs to exit gate
Day 9 - Day in Moshi before and evening flight home
Day 10 (7am) - Arrive Heathrow