07-11 February 2022
Let's explore the Scottish Highlands in their full winter glory!
The specific itinerary for this trip will be determined when weather and ground conditions are known but, we will essentially meet at Inverness airport and drive to the best conditions at that time (For those that follow City Mountaineering on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/citymountaineering/), this will be more akin to the weekday hikes we do in our spare time - Chase the best weather for the best days out!)
No prior winter mountaineering experience is required and full instruction will be provided on the use of the equipment and the skills required to keep safe in the winter environment
whether you are new to winter mountaineering, or just want to get away for the week, this trip will cover everything you need to get your winter mountaineering fix and full instruction will be provided in order to stay as safe as possible in the mountains
Covered on the trip will include:
- General Safety (pre-trip planning, in-trip planning and risk mitigating)
- Weather awareness
- Avalanche awareness
- Winter navigation
- Safe use of crampons and ice axe
- Movement techniques on snow and ice
- Ice Axe arrest (the use of you ice axe if you were to fall and slide down a slope - don't worry, this is done in a safe area and is a lot of fun!
- Constructing and using show anchors
- Building an emergency shelter in the snow
- Building (and sleeping in) a snow hole
- Ascend 3-6 Munros (Scottish mountains) in full winter conditions
Monday (from 6pm) - Meet outside Euston railway station and board the train for a relaxing jounrey to Scotland. You will be met in Glasgow and transferred to your accommodation for a trip briefing - hostel accommodation
Tuesday-Thursday - A journey through the winter wonderland to practice/learn winter hiking skills (appropriate and safe use of ice axe and crampons) while reaching the summit of a local mountain. We will then check the weather to determine where we go and what we climb next!
Friday - After a relaxed breakfast we will make our way to Inverness for your return home (expect to arrive in Inverness at 2pm)