17-19 January 2022
Winter ascent of Lake District Mountains, Hiking up gullies usually inaccessible in summer and enjoy evenings sat by the fire of traditional lakeland pubs.
No prior winter mountaineering experience is required and full instruction will be provided on the use of the equipment and the skills required to keep safe in the winter environment
Whether you are new to winter mountaineering, or just want to get away for a couple of days, this trip will cover everything you need to get your winter mountaineering fix and full instruction will be provided in order to stay as safe as possible in the mountains
Covered on the trip will include:
- General Safety (pre-trip planning, in-trip planning and risk mitigating)
- Weather awareness
- Avalanche awareness
- Safe use of crampons and ice axe
- Movement techniques on snow and ice
- Ice Axe arrest (the use of you ice axe if you were to fall and slide down a slope - don't worry, this is done in a safe area and is a lot of fun!
- Building an emergency shelter in the snow
- Ascend Lake District mountains in full winter conditions
Monday (from 6pm) - Meet at Euston train staiton and take a relaxing train journey north to The Lake District where you will be met by your guide and transferred to your accommodation for the weekend.
You will be given a full trip briefing before heading to bed.
Tuesday - A day of journeying through the winter wilderness, learning appropriate techniques in order to stay safe.
In the evening, your guide will talk you through trip/route planning and the resources used to best keep you safe in the mountains
Wednesday - A second day hiking in the winter wonderland, reaching a local summit, before returning back to the train station for your jounrey back to London (expect to be back at Euston at 9pm)