29 December 2021 - 03 January 2022
New Year’s Eve: boring parties; huge crowds; the same old fireworks displays. There must be a better way to see in the new year, especially after the year we’ve all just had!
Break from tradition this year and do something different. Escape the city, get out to the mountains of Scotland and sing Auld Lang Syne in the country of its origin, dram of whisky in hand!
Joing our Wild New Year and spend New Years Eve in a remote mountain hut beside a crackiling fire with an open bottle of whisky. The next morning start the new year with a wild swim before heading back to civilisation for an evening dinner at traditional pub.
The exact location of the Wild New Year will be chosen closer to the time. We’ll choose the areas with the best weather and the best ground conditions. In recent years we’ve hiked the Isle of Skye, the northwest Highlands, Glen Coe, the far northern mountains and the Cairngorms.
It’s always spontaneous and always fun!
You’ll be met in Inverness and whisked away to the wilds of the Scottish mountains. If they are in full winter condition (i.e. covered in snow) you’ll be provided with ice axes and crampons and be taught how to use them.
* Note: If weather doesn't allow a wild camp adventure, we will see in the New Year at a local pub (possibly in Aviemore, or maybe a little more remote)
The exact location of the trip will be determined closer to the time by weather and ground conditions (being flexible allows us to seek out the best weather) but the following is a general itinerary:
• Meet at Inverness airport/train station on Wednesday 29 December and drive to our accommodation for the night. You'll then receive a full trip briefing, so you know exactly what to expect over the coming days.
• Thursday 30 December - Head out to climb a local mountain. We will then return to the accommodation for dinner and drinks and to pack our expedition bags for the coming days
• Friday 31 December - Head out on a winter wild camping adventure*! We will hike to a remote mountain hut, set the fire going, make some mulled wine and see in New Year in one of the best places in the world!
• Saturday 01 January - After breakfast (and maybe clearing our heads with a wild swim) we will head out on a circular hike over a local mountain, returning to our tents/hut civilisation to enjoy dinner on our final night in the wild.
• Sunday 02 January - After breakfast we will hike back to civilisation and check in to our accommodation for a welcome shower before heading to a traditional local pub for dinner.
• Monday 03 January - Depart our accommodation and make our way back to Inverness for your return home
* Note: If weather doesn't allow a wild camp adventure, we will see in the New Year at a local pub (possibly in Aviemore, or maybe somewhere a little more remote)